What is the oldest winery in the Clare Valley?
As we explore the rich tapestry of Clare Valley’s wine heritage, one cannot help but marvel at the enduring legacy of its winemaking history. In this blog post, we embark on a journey back in time to uncover the oldest winery in Clare Valley, a place where tradition and innovation intertwine to create a taste of the past in every bottle.
- Sevenhill Cellars: A Beacon of History: Nestled amidst the rolling hills and vine-covered landscapes of Clare Valley, Sevenhill Cellars stands as a living testament to the region’s winemaking roots. Established in 1851 by Jesuit priests, Sevenhill is not only the oldest winery in Clare Valley but also one of the oldest continuously operating wineries in Australia.
- Spiritual Beginnings: Sevenhill Cellars has a unique origin story that sets it apart from other wineries in the region. The Jesuit priests who founded the winery sought to create sacramental wine for religious ceremonies. The choice of location, with its fertile soil and favorable climate, proved to be ideal for grape cultivation, and thus, Sevenhill began its journey as a spiritual and viticultural haven.
- Heritage and Architecture: One of the captivating aspects of Sevenhill Cellars is its historic architecture. The winery’s iconic St. Aloysius Church, built in the Gothic Revival style, stands proudly on the property. The cellars, with their rustic charm and original stone construction, echo with the whispers of centuries past. Exploring Sevenhill is not just a wine-tasting experience but a journey into the heart of Clare Valley’s cultural and architectural heritage.
- Diverse Wine Offerings: While Sevenhill Cellars has its roots in sacramental wine production, it has evolved to produce a diverse range of wines that have garnered acclaim both locally and internationally. From their signature Rieslings to robust reds like Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon, Sevenhill’s portfolio reflects the richness of Clare Valley’s terroir.
- A Destination for Enthusiasts: Beyond the tasting rooms, Sevenhill Cellars offers visitors a chance to immerse themselves in the winemaking process and the region’s history. Guided tours take guests through the underground cellars, showcasing the winemaking facilities and providing insights into the heritage of the winery.
Conclusion: Sevenhill Cellars stands as a living legacy, a beacon of history in Clare Valley’s wine landscape. As the oldest winery in the region, it continues to craft wines that pay homage to the past while embracing the spirit of innovation. A visit to Sevenhill is not just a sip of fine wine but a step back in time, where the traditions of the vine are woven into the very fabric of Clare Valley’s identity.
You can visit Sevenhill Cellars independently, or as part of a tour, Clare valley Wine Tours and the Clare Valley Walk offer multiple tours featuring Sevenhill, check out;
Visiting Sevenhill Cellars On A Tour
Walk Wine and Dine – Pauletts: A self guided 7km walk followed by a Gourmet Lunch with Wine at Pauletts, includes transport.
Private Clare Valley Wine Tour: A luxury day spent touring the Clare Valley tasting & eating premium wines and food
3 Day Clare Valley Wine & Wilderness Trail: A 3 day package including luxury accommodation, food, wine & transport